Saturday, March 10, 2012

A Break in the Spring

Chuck loves laundry day!
So it's been a while...nice to see you again! You know, it's not that I don't have things to rant about - I just choose to rant sparingly.  If I complained every time I had a bad day, it would definitely be an annoyance to you and very likely, to me!  Luckily I have plenty of good things going on in my life.  Our little Chuck Swift isn't so little anymore, but I've enjoyed having a kitten in the house.  They are hilarious and provide a lot of free entertainment :-)

Like any good Texan, we have taken up heading over to the range for target practice.  I recently picked up a .38 Special and have enjoyed the "quiet" time I get to spend in my head while working on my marksmanship.  Rachel came with me on my last outing and is now hooked.  I believe she's looking at slim 9mm for her tiny "bird-hands."

I thought I would touch base for a couple of reasons: it's Spring Break and I'm getting what I'm calling my "VW Legs."  First off, I haven't had a Spring Break in ten years.  The university that employs me is actually going to be closed for the last two days of the week and between requesting vacation and sick leave, I've got the first three days of the week off.  I plan on doing very little that could be regarded as "productive" and plan to do quite a bit of searching.  Whether it be soul, music, tv or film - I will be searching.  Interjected between much of this searching that will undoubtedly be on my @$$, I will be spending some good time learning how to adjust to my new legs.  On Tuesday afternoon at 1pm my life is going to change.  I will be taking delivery of these carbon-fiber leg braces and will begin the noble journey towards being a real boy again; I have a four-hour appointment on Tuesday and a three-hour appointment on Wednesday.

If you recall from my previous post, the casting process was quite eye-opening.  Not only was I able to stand in one place without the aid of a cane, a person or a wall...I was also able to see just how much my body has compensated for the lack of stability it deals with on a daily basis.  My hips, knees, ankles and feet are out of alignment.  I'm not sure how severely they are out of whack, but Jason (my orthotist) leads me to believe that I'm better off than most in that I can still walk relatively well.

Jason Jennings
The more I interact with Jason, the more I consider him to be my own personal highly-specialized mechanic.  By working together on my alignment and stability, it will allow for the rest of my body to work to the best of its ability.  I'm glad to have met him, he's a good guy.  I honestly feel that he's done more for me in the two times I've seen him than my team of neurologists have done in the year I've been bouncing between their examining rooms.  As we progress through the months, my frustration has grown to levels that are evident to myself and others.  I joke about being a medical mystery, but I would much rather be an easy diagnosis.

My 2010 Jetta Limited Edition
I also mentioned previously that I am taking part in a case-study of people that are using these braces.  This efficacy study will hopefully lead to more and more insurances covering the cost of these highly customized and expensive "walking systems."  I call them my "VW Legs" because the initial write-up I received on them, which was later sent to to my insurance company, had a price tag which resembled the one I saw when I bought my most recent Volkswagen.  From the posts on the wall of the closed Facebook group I have been invited to, I have been learning from others about the triumphs and tribulations I have to look forward to.  I'm not sure, but I think I'm very likely the youngest person to be using this walking system.

I'm not sure how that makes me feel exactly.  32 years old and I'm in the midst of all this poking and prodding and uncertainty.  Undoubtedly, there are children in this world who were born sick and have known nothing but bad days with good ones sprinkled amongst them.  I'm fortunate enough to have enjoyed 28 years of relatively good health before things started to fall apart.  Perspective helps...

Shortly after getting married, my neurologist started me on Lyrica to help manage my pain levels.  While my pain began to wane my weight began to elevate.  From what I'm gathering from various medical forums, Lyrica causes many to gain weight through a combination of making you ravenous in addition to having you hold onto lots of water.  The bloating is uncomfortable MOST of the time, and I've had few days where I felt "healthy" regardless of my lessened pain.  This brought me to request a new medication from my neurologist.  She felt that Cymbalta might be the way to go, as it would replace TWO of the medications I was currently on.

This sounded like a great idea to me, as my daily regimen of medications had grown to four.  Of course, I know people with autoimmune diseases that take as many as twelve medications a day...so I shouldn't complain.  Cymbalta has been reviewed by a LOT of people as being a wonderful drug and I'm glad they found something that works for them.  It DID NOT work for me.  In fact, it sent my blood pressure through the roof.  144/110 doesn't feel good as it rips through your arteries and it seemed to me that I could feel every contraction of my heart.  I promptly took myself off Cymbalta after two weeks and have now resorted back to the previous medications I was prescribed.  One of these days...we'll find something awesome.  But for now, we have something that works.  And my heart is back to "normal."

I imagine I will be blogging much more often from here on out.  I fully expect to have lots of ups and downs over the next few months/years - but they will all be worth it.  I have been sent a very helpful document that is meant to be a user-guide of sorts for the system.  It has been compiled from various users and I've begun reading some of it.  I have a feeling I will keep my iPad very near over the next few months, as I refer to it with increasing dependance.  I want to thank all of the people that contributed to it in addition to the group of people that post their questions, concerns and experiences on the Facebook page.  We are undoubtedly connected in a very primal way.

....Learning to walk again....

No comments:

Post a Comment